A Literature Review (in process)

I am participating in the course on 'How to Do a Literature Review', an open online course running on the FutureLearn platform. I plan to use this space to record my learning throughout the four weeks to see the development of my literature review for the introductory chapter of my dissertation and share my own experience. All of this is a work-in-progress/thinking in progress and I am testing out this whole blogging thing, in combination with trying to combine meet some of my writing goals. In the off-chance that you're reading this, and have any interest in what I am proposing, I of course, welcome your feedback!

Week 1: The topic I've chosen for my literature review is the processes of motivation for physical activity for people with osteoarthritis. At the moment, I am trying to figure out if the literature review will serve as a true "Introduction" to my dissertation. Originally, I was going to use the literature review to provide an overview of the public health significance and motivation for the current research on motivating people with osteoarthritis to be physically active. (e.g.discuss the benefits of physical activity; note the difference in physical activity levels for people with osteoarthritis (OA) (in comparison to healthy population); review the burden of OA (worldwide), and describe the benefits of engaging in physical activity for people with OA.)

I think in order to conclude with a review of each of my dissertation chapters, I have to include a discussion and analysis of motivation for physical activity for people with OA. I had initially conceptualized this as my second chapter (A critical review of the barriers and facilitators (and ?behaviour change theories) used in physical activity interventions for people with osteoarthritis) but the more I participate in the course, the more I'm realising that this "second" chapter should be included as part of the introduction because it provides the context for why I am completing my dissertation.

Here's what I have currently presented as my initial focus statement.


Physical activity decreases pain and increases physical function for people with osteoarthritis (OA), however most people with OA do not meet recommended physical activity guidelines. If there are clear benefits to engaging in physical activity, why aren’t more people in this population motivated to be active? Existing models of behavior change for physical activity for people with osteoarthritis commonly focus on barriers and facilitators that require deliberate reasoning, however, recent findings suggest that non-conscious processes also drive health behavior. In this dissertation, I use the dual process theory and reflective-impulsive model to explore the relationship between reflective and nonconscious processes to broaden our understanding of motivation for physical activity for people with OA. I use this theory-driven approach in combination with survey data and best-worst discrete choice experiments to inform the development a pilot randomized controlled trial that assesses the acceptability, appropriateness, feasibility and implementation costs and preliminary efficacy of a physical activity intervention that considers both implicit and explicit processes of motivation for physical activity in people with OA.

I plan to include the following components in my introduction/critical literature review 
AIM 1: To provide an overview of the public health significance and motivation for the current research on motivating people with osteoarthritis to be physically active
AIM 2: To synthesise the existing body of research on the barriers, facilitators and correlates of physical activity for people with osteoarthritis
AIM 3: To propose a measurement model in the area of physical activity for adults with osteoarthritis
AIM 4: To compare and contrast the COM-B model for physical activity on healthy adults with the proposed measurement model
(tentative) AIM 5: To identify behavior change theories that are used to promote physical activity for adults with osteoarthritis


Comments

Popular Posts